Ultra Runner Jesper Olsen Completes 37,000KM World Run
Copenhagen, Friday 31, August 2012: Professional ultra-runner and ECCO ambassador, Jesper Olsen, will be available for interview, following the completion of his incredible World Run II.
Running in ECCO BIOM shoes, Jesper completed a record breaking run of just less than 37,000km to make it the world's longest fully GPS-documented run.
To complete his journey, Jesper travelled across 4 continents and 28 countries. His longest single distance covered in a day was on the final 24 hours of his journey, when he covered almost 200km.
"It's amazing to have finally completed the second World Run. I knew it was an ambitious challenge and, running such extreme distances, I relied on the support of my team, the local communities, who greeted me with such warmth and, of course, my kit. My ECCO BIOM's have journeyed with me every step of the way, giving my feet the flexibility and durability needed to cover long distances day in and day out," says Jesper.
"Now the journey i sover, I'm really pleased to be home and getting back to a regular schedule. It will take some getting used to!"
Jesper's ECCO BIOM running shoes have supported him throughout the run, with durability of up to 1000km for every pair . With their natural motion technology, ECCO BIOM has allowed Jesper to run naturally and comfortably, whilst covering the extreme distances of his amazing expedition.
Key facts from Jesper's trip:
- • Jesper went through 45 pairs of ECCO BIOM's during the course of World Run II
- • Jesper weighed 75kg at the start of the World Run II, he now weighs between 62-65kg following his completion of World Run II
- • Aside from his World Run route, Jesper also took part in the following races: 6 day race in New York City (640 km / 4th place), Gator in Florida (50 miles / 2nd place), Cairo 48 hour Challenga (1st place), Berlin 24 hour (1st place and new course record)
- • Jesper celebrated the finish of World Run II with his support driver and friends he'd met in Canada along the way, visiting a local micro-brewery, his first beer since he started the run in 2008.
Jesper's advice for aspiring ultra-runners
- • Run in healthy shoes and don't let them get worn out. ECCO BIOM's last 1000km a pair which really helped me cover such long distances.
- • Listen to your body and interpret all the little signals it sends out, so you can pick up on arly signs that the body is out of balance or overloaded. The moment you stop listening to your body, you cease to develop as a runner.
- • Stretch before and after your run. I also train my feet 1-2 times a day for five minutes (mobility, coordination and muscle strength exercises). This helps my feet cope with the stress of running over such extreme distances.
- Ends -
For more information, interviews with Jesper and accompanying images please contact:
Tel: 0044 207 535 5800
For photography, B-roll and web video from key moments during World Run II:
Click here for Jesper Arrives in Key West for his US leg of World Run II.
Click here for Jesper takes break from World Run II to run the New York 6 day transcendental race.
Click here for Jesper completes World Run II, Canada.
Notes to Editors
About World Run II
Split into two parts, the first began in Norkapp, Norway. Olsen ran south through Finland, Sweden, and his home country of Denmark. His journey continued through Germany, Poland, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania and Turkey before rising to the challenge of running in the hot climes of the African continent and running its length, finishing in Cape Town in March 2010.
In 2011, Jesper took on South America, running up the West side of continent. The last leg of his journey was completed this year, running the length of the eastern side of the USA and finishing in New Foundland, Canada in July 2012.
ECCO believes that form follows function. This means creating shoes that combine freedom of movement with intelligent support that enables the foot to move naturally. ECCO BIOM shoes increase comfort - and capabilities. We call this Natural Motion. For more information, go to biom.ecco.com.
ECCO is a world leading shoe brand that combines style and comfort. It has built its success on uncompromising quality, innovative technology and the design philosophy., "the shoe must follow the foot". ECCO is the only major shoe manufacturer to own and manage every step of the shoe making process, and its employees are the life force behind its products, designing, developing, producing, and taking responsibility for every detail. ECCO products can be found in 4,000 branded sales locations in over 90 countries, a growth fueled by ECCO's continuing aim to be the best shoe company in the world. For more information, go to www.ecco.com.